Snuffle Mat makes mealtime fun and mentally stimulating. Dogs will enjoy puzzling over the many pockets while they snuffle around looking for morsels of treats to release, so they are busy and entertained. It also has a the added benefit of helping to lower anxiety levels by giving pups something to focus on, providing a calming effect. Snuffle Mats are also ideal for use while animals are recuperating after illness or injury by providing enrichment if they are confined in a space.
How to use enrichment toys
If your dog has never used an enrichment toy before, you'll need to show them how it works. This is a fun bonding experience for both dog and pawrent.
Start with just a few morsels of food and pop them in easy to find spots on the mat. Encourage your dog to "find it" and praise them when they do. Remove the mat when they've found all the food.
You can build from here, adding larger amounts of food, and even entire meals into the snuffle mat!
Benefits of Enrichment
The benefits of enrichment are well documented.
According to Good Human Dog Training, the benefits include:
- gives a feeling of fulfillment and satisfaction
- reduces boredom-related behavior problems
- stimulates and assists in brain growth
- increases intelligence and problem-solving abilities
- builds confidence and social skills
- allows dogs to be dogs and do dog things
- creates a more balanced and happy dog.
- weight loss in dogs who actively work for their meals
- increased focus and concentration
- builds stronger bonds through interactive play
- protects against age-associated cognitive decline and dementia
Always supervise your dog when using any toy. Do not leave unattended